SQL SERVER – Cloud Based Data Integration Made Easy – A Real World Scenario

SQL SERVER – Cloud Based Data Integration Made Easy – A Real World Scenario

If you are a DBA, once in a while, you will have a situation where you end up with some tasks which will be boring and annoying. Trust me in my life, I often come across similar scenarios quite often. Here is one such tasks I came across a few days ago.

A Task, I would like to Automate

Just the other day I was assigned a task where I had to take a CSV file from my network and insert into SQL Server which was hosted in remote locations. Well, you may think it as a pretty easy task and I agree with you this is very easy task. The challenge is not about its difficulty, but the challenge was rather about the entire process and my interest. The part which annoyed me the most was that I have to do this every day at 4 PM.
This means, every day I must be at my desk at 4 PM and take a file from the network and upload to remote SQL Server. What about weekends? What about when I have to step away from my desk at 4 PM? What about the situation, when I am busy doing something much more important than this task? Well, as I said, more than task, I have been just one-place with the routine which was associated with it. In simple words, this was an ETL task which needed to be automated, but I can’t depend on my machine always. I have to find a solution which was cloud based and runs efficiently.

Skyvia at Rescue

I was sitting miffed in office and suddenly I remembered that last year I blogged about the tool Skyvia. Here is the blog post Integrate Your Data with Skyvia – Cloud ETL Solution. I quickly referred to my own blog, post and realized I should give Skyvia a try.
What is Skyvia?
Skyvia is a powerful solution for cloud data integration (ETL) and backup. It is a complete online solution and does not require any local software installed except for a web browser. In Skyvia we can create integration packages that define the operations and then we can run them or schedule for automatic execution. An integrated package is a set of data ETL operations that can be stored for future use, executed, modified, or deleted. Skyvia provides several kinds of packages for different integration scenarios. They are Import, Export, Replication, and Synchronization packages.

How did I do it?

Well, here are few of the screenshots of the task which I was assigned.
First, I checked if the table where I have to export data exists or not. As the table was already created, I quickly checked if it contained data or not. The table contained no data.
Read more here.

posted under |
Newer Post Older Post Home

Amazon Books

    Amazone Choice!


Recent Comments